Monday, July 6, 2015

Exploring the town and meeting the locals

Wow, what a fun first day of spending time exploring and meeting the locals and making plans.  Let's clarify by making sure everyone knows we are in the little town of Placencia, which is a quaint little fishing town on the peninsula of Belize.  We are on the Caribbean Sea side of the peninsula and the lagoon is on the other side, which we will cross eventually to do some of the excursions.  We haven't explored that part yet, but we have time.  

  

We woke this morning ready to explore and find some breakfast and the market to buy some food to make some things ourselves.  We were greeted by Marlin, who was helping with the grounds keep.  He offered us fresh coconut water.  He went out and picked the coconut from the tree right out front and then using his machete he chopped a hole in it and we drank the freshest coconut water anyone could drink.  I never really liked the coconut water that Kaleb likes to drink, but this was amazing.  He came back a little later and gave us a gallon he collected, plus the meat from on of the coconuts.  If I can figure out how to bring it home, Kaleb would be thrilled.  





The actual coconut tree seen from our veranda! 


The gallon of coconut water plus some and a bowl full of the meet. 



When we were finally on our way to breakfast we found this little restaurant called De Tached.  Another amazing taste of fresh and local.  Mark had fresh squeezed pineapple juice and I had Fresh squeezed mango juice to start.  We learned about a local favorite called Fry Jacks.  They are very good, kind of like deep fried pancakes, very yummy.  The view was beautiful and we got our first shakedown from lady and her son selling their wares.  


Cool tree fanned! 




After breakfast we set out for some groceries.  The eggs were so fresh they don't even store them in the fridge and there were only three left for the day.  I guess we will try again tomorrow and get a few more.  We took a ride a little father to explore a little more and then headed home for dip in the ocean. After some lunch, I started realizing my body was adjusting to the difference in the weather, mostly the humidity so I took a short nap.  After my nap we explored some more further down the sidewalk, basically their promenade.  There is a bunch of reconstruction going on in Placencia.  Being that my brothers are in construction and I grew up around it, I found some of it fascinating.  I took a few pics to share and see how different codes in Belize are from the States.  




Finally dinner was had at a place called the Tipsy Tuna.  It was a bit Americanized with wings and burgers and such but it was an awesome view.  According to Mark, Buffalo Wild Wings has nothing to worry about.  Their spicy wings were nothing, however the mojitos were pretty good and they had a pretty decent adult smoothie.  



I got a new hat.  The one I brought kept flying off! 





Thanks for letting me share! Tomorrow will be another day of adventures . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment