Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Monkey River Tour

I am not sure where to even begin . . . 

Since my last post, Lazy Days, we spent a few more lazy days relaxingly busy.  We found fresh tortillas and watched them being made while we listened to some interesting music this guy wrote in the hopes of breaking into the music business.  



We spent time getting to know our friends, the Stolls.



Watching the sunset


Yes there are dogs in the restaurants and people feed them! 


Learned how to snorkel before our upcoming snorkeling adventure and private lunch on a private island.  That actually is a good thing since I had never been snorkeling before and I was a little nervous.  I got some of that panic feeling out of my system with just Mark around and maybe I won't be so embarrassed.  It was a blast and I'm looking forward to our adventure on Thursday to the outer coral reef.  




Found a small little reef around the Placencia Caye 




Mark got stung by a jelly fish . . . 


Our first excursion for this week . . . The Monkey River Tour with Percy (famously known for taking Jack Hannah on this tour).  What a blast!!!  We saw crocodiles, turtles, iguanas, howler monkeys, a gillion birds, creepy spiders, manatees, starfish and we swam with the crocodiles.  We ate lunch with his wife and nephew and I kind of think while we were eating lunch, Percy might have been smoking something??? He was hilarious and wow the mouth on him was crazy! I think almost every other word needed to be bleeped, but he was pretty amazing with his knowledge of the jungle and the area.  


That's Percy in the back. 


Iguanas are referred to as Bamboo Chicken and apparently Good Eats! 



Kristi and I unintentionally wore the exact same color shirt! It was funny!!! 


You might have to zoom in to find the baby birds.  I think they are called a zebra bird because of the stripes on their bodies as babies.  I'm not sure though. 


There are two Jesus Lizards in this picture, the big one is the boy and the little one is the girl.  They are the lizards that walk on water so hence, the Jesus lizards.  Very good at camouflage.  Kristi and I got pretty good and finding things towards the end, but Percy was amazing at spotting things.  


This is some kind of fruit pod they eat a lot.  The animals apparently like it a lot too.  It is white kind of like a marshmallow flavor but know really.  It has a pit inside, but you peal it back like a banana.  It was ok I thought but Mark seemed to like it.  


Getting ready to hike into the jungle and see the monkeys.  The monkeys were up pretty high and hard to get a picture, so Mark shot a video so you could hear them.  I think he has to put that on YouTube.  I'll link it later when I figure it out.  


Swimming with the crocodiles . . . We'll sort of.  Yes, just before we jumped in the water there was a croc swimming away from us.  They apparently are a bit skiddish of people and where we were was their breeding/birthing area, where the eggs are laced, etc but it isn't the season for that so there aren't many crocs in that particular area at the moment.  I jumped in but I was a bit nervous so got out quicker then Mark.  



A parrot, but we never saw any toucans.  


Percy caught me a starfish and we got to hold it.  These are nothing like our cute little starfish in the tide pools at Cannon Beach.  We did throw him back.  

I decided to relax a bit today.  Mark and Jeff decided to be men, fashion a spear and try to hunt lobster, which by the way is my new favorite sea food.  Mark ended up with too much sea water in his nose and tummy and threw up on the way back to the cabana and they were not successful. Although one would thing that would attract the fish. Tomorrow the guide is going to teach them how to do it so maybe tomorrow will be more successful.



We are having a blast and we love you all! Until next time . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment